Full Security Update – 2/16/2023
Here we would like to share with you a full update on the security measures which have been implemented during the past weeks. Please understand that because security is fluid and protocols are dynamic, security measures may change based on continuing assessments and needs.
I. Reducing access points onto the Emanu El campus through our gates and doors
- Entrance to our campus will be limited to the East gate, with exception of vendors/deliveries who will be permitted to use the West gate. The West gate will continue to remain available for cars and pedestrians to exit our campus.
- Building door access will be limited to the school entrance, the north lobby, and the rotunda doors.
II. Employing a Two-Step Verification process to ensure that no visitor may enter our building without a valid reason
- Step 1: Perimeter verification – no visitor may pass through either the East or West gates without appropriate validation (guard approval, lanyard/ID, or access actively granted by security/reception desk).
- Step 2: Building entrance verification – no visitor may enter the building without the appropriate validation (as above).
- All 3 entry points to have armed security guards stationed there at all times.
III. Other Action Steps Already Implemented
- Hired additional armed security guards to supplement our current security 24/7.
- Reinforced our current protocols with security personnel, receptionists, and all staff.
- Reminded and re-trained all staff about our access / door protocols.
- All visitors to our campus, excluding congregants and anyone issued a valid ID badge (e.g., non-congregant Becker parents and/or caregivers), must receive a badge from receptionists/guards, other than for worship services and large events.
- Visitor validation occurs at the East Gate by security who will provide a temporary sticker. Visitors are then met by a guard at one of the 3 approved entrances where they must sign in and receive a temporary badge.
- Coming soon, all visitors to be verified via Hall Pass and all congregants to be issued ID cards with Lanyards to facilitate campus access.
- Limit all vendor/delivery access (UPS, Amazon, caterers, etc.) to rotunda entrance. All delivery personnel must buzz into the rotunda, not the delivery door and be verified via the badging system.
- Verify all passenger drop-offs (e.g., taxi, Uber/Lyft) by security before passengers may enter the East gate.
- Retained extra security for all large events.
- Ensure all members have a CEE sticker for their car windshield. See instructions below on how to get them for your vehicles.
- We are continuing to evaluate our security needs and may make changes accordingly.
How will these adjustments affect you and other cherished members of our Emanu El community?
Effective immediately, all members and staff must have a CEE sticker for their car windshield. If you do not have one, please email Sue Lewis at SueL@emanuelhouston.org to arrange to pick one up or have one mailed to you.
Effective immediately, all congregational staff and visitors will enter the campus only through the East gate. No one will be admitted through the gate without the appropriate validation and guard approval (CEE sticker, lanyard/ID, or access actively granted by security/reception desk).
- A guard will be posted full-time at our entry gate.
- Each car will be physically stopped and engaged.
- If a congregant with CEE sticker or a Becker car tag is recognized by the guard, they do not have to be stopped before proceeding onto campus.
- All others must be on an approved visitor list (provided by the school or Emanu El Staff) and issued a temporary visitor badge.
Effective immediately, the West Gate will be closed to all visitors except for vendors, contractors, and deliveries. Their access will continue to be monitored as it is today.
- A guard will be posted during high-traffic times and the gate is being monitored by camera full time.
- The West Parking lot will be closed to all visitors.
- A sign will be installed directing all visitors to “Use the East Gate Entrance.”
- All vendors, contractors, and delivery people must be Hall Pass verified and issued a badge before entering our building, and their movements will be limited to permitted spaces and monitored accordingly.
Effective immediately, the following protocols will be implemented regarding door access (entrance to our building).
I. South Lobby/Sunset Doors will be locked indefinitely to restrict all access.
II. School Entrance and School secured area:
- Full-time guard has been placed in the school
- One carpool line
- Only garage drop-off / pick-up for Becker
III. North Entrance:
- All visitors to be verified and met by the full-time security guard before entering the building
- Helfman drop off / pickup to be limited to the North Entrance circle unless parents park in the garage and walk their children in through the North Entrance
IV. All other entrances will be locked and not used for access.
V. Rice Students will no longer be able to cut through our campus to get to/from the graduate apartments.